Around here, we love to buy the 1 lb box of salad greens at sams club for $4. We can rarely eat it all before it goes bad, but it ends up being cheaper overall. We are simple salad eaters, but occasionally I like to make croutons with Goldilocks. I found this recipe on allrecipes.com a few years ago and love it because its easy and tastes a lot better than store bought. This February we made heart shaped croutons for the girls to give to their teachers at school and church.
- 15 slices bread (most of a loaf)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt + any herbs you like
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove crusts from stale bread slices. Brush bread on both sides with melted butter. Cut bread slices up into small cubes or cut with small cookie cutters. Sprinkle with garlic salt. Arrange cubes on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes or until browned. Let cool. Store croutons in a covered container or plastic bag.